Citrus tart goes down well. I know that for a fact. I have lived a life thus far witnessing many a dinner party with lemon, lime or orange flavoured desserts going down a treat. And as a kid i am guilty of sitting underneath the lemon tree digging face first into lemons.
Here is a starlimetartthat is super easy and bound to impress your guests.
1. Prepare your pastry by rolling out into your flan tin (or mini flans) and bake blind until light golden brown (~20 mins at 200°C) using baking paper with plenty of pastry weights to support the sides and once out of the oven, egg-wash as this is a very watery filling. I used the cream cheese flakey pastry from my Lorraine Godsmark cooking class, and it was perfect for the sharpness and sweetness that the lime and sugar introduced.
2. Mix together eggs and sugar in an electric beater until thick and frothy.
3. Slowly add in cream and lime juice and mix on the lowest speed until just combined.
4. Pour filling into cooled, egg-washed pastry case and carefully place in the oven. If you think you may spill, put the empty pastry case on the oven rack first and follow with the filling. Bake for 35-40 minutes until brown on top.
5. It is important to let the tart cool to room temperature before cutting and serving, otherwise the filling will pour out or be very gooey. Garnish with a thick layer of icing sugar, edible flowers like violias and candied lime slices. You don't need any other condiments to serve - keep the plate simple and let the lime and pastry speak for themselves.